Sunday 4 July 2010

Throwing Stars and Falling on my Arse!

So Saturday came around and I dragged myself out of bed early enough to attend the full two hours. I got suited and booted and awaited the coaches decision of what we were do. I was expecting to join my fellow members of Team Tard for just building on the basics but after a falling exercise we the split into three groups fo different drills. Starting on weaving between cones, I waited my turn and then gave it a bash and just about managed to weave through all the cones which were fairly close and while gliding /wobbling on one foot it felt fab to hear others in the group clapping and it was fab cheering other girls on because everyone was so impressive!

Next up we all panicked like little rabbits in the headlights! Jumping!!! A single lonely shoe sat waiting to be attacked by several girls on skates... Everyone did realy well and everyone managed to overcome their fear and get all 8 wheels off the floor. When my turn came around I went straight for the shoe and jumped... maybe not the best idea but still not as bad as I thought it would be, I was told on the way back to the rest of the group that I was fearless! Probably more nuts in all honesty! :) I continued to jump landing on my wheels most of the time but I still have a very painful ass proving it can go so wrong!

Then the final station was stopping, everyone was giving it a good go with t-stops and ploughs mostly. I went up and saw fear in someones eyes thinking I hadnt quite got control of my plough yet but I kinda do, its just one of my thunder thighs must be stronger so when I use them I turn as I stop. Also stopping was always better when I had to join at the back of the group!

Another loop of all the stations and everyone was so impressive even though one shoe had turned into two and the thought of clearing a person scared the living daylights out of me!! We also skated in a couple of small packs learning to control our speed and balance while staying very close to other skaters and it wasnt too bad but still something to work on. Then a few relay races with falls which had us all pumped up until the race with stopping which proved more people couldn't stop than those that could! After this came a mini-bout...

I was handed a pink hair net which instantly worried me, as I knew which position usually had the helmet. And so the pack headed off on the first whistle and then the second one went and I just went and bloody legged it! Catching up with the pack I managed to squeeze through and then tried to get around the second time which would be scoring time in reality. I just kinda threw myself at the pack and managed to get around a few times but the other teams jammer was amazingly fast and I was behind her most of the way until someone did a good block and we were pretty close at the end of the two minute jam.

I then proceeded to collapse!

So I sat out the second "jam" and jumped back in for the third as a Blocker, turns out a huge butt is very useful in this game! :D I stuck at the back of the pack and tried to focus on being able to keep to speed with the pack while looking back for the opposition jammer to block and our own jammer to help with a opening or whip! I loved it! Both being Jammer and Blocker and actually getting past the pack and blocking an opposing jammer showed that I had learnt something and that as a team we are definitely building the skills we need to have bouts! I am now hugely looking forward to practicing more and learning more things like the t-stops and going backwards :D

And so Ive seemingly kick "the Meh" into touch (for now) and thoroughly enjoyed it! I also enjoyed actually talking to some of the other girls a little bit but me being more sociable and not so shy definitely still needs a lot of work! And along with that my next challenge is actually taking my wheels outside for a skate :)

No comments:

Post a Comment